If you’ve visited our Whimsi store in Publika lately, you may have noticed paper feathers dangling from our ceiling 🙂 we decided to add a little festive cheer by hanging these glittery paper feathers, and they do look a little magical even if I do say so myself.
These paper feathers were very easy to make so I decided to share it with all of you! I promise it’s not as tedious and messy as you’d imagine it to be 🙂
Let’s start off with a list of things you’ll need:
A4/A3 paper, approx 120gsm is perfect (white/coloured, it’s up to you really)
Double sided tape
Glitter (colour – to your heart’s desire!)
1) Cut strips of paper, fold in two lengthwise. You can determine your ideal width and height for each strip, but I find that 18cm x 3cm (when folded) is a nice size for bigger feathers and 12cm x 3cm (when folded) is suitable for smaller ones.
2) Cut the folded strips of paper into feather shapes using a scissors. There are various shapes and silhouettes that you could use to create an interesting combination of feathers.
3) Cut diagonal lines, away from the center fold of the paper strip. The finer each cut is, the more delicate your feather will be. Approximately 2mm for each cut should be just nice – anything smaller than that might end up tearing the paper.
4) Flatten the folded feather and place double sided tape on one end, on both sides of the paper. I find that using double sided tape is less messy as it is not wet, hence you don’t have to worry about making the paper too soggy. Double sided tape is a lot easier to control and requires no drying time.
5) Peel off the wrapper of the double sided tape and dip the first side into the glitter, ensuring it is evenly coated. Repeat these steps for the other side of the feather.
6) Dust off excess glitter and voila! Your very own handmade paper feathers with gold glitter tips 🙂
Now that you’ve got a whole bunch of pretty glittery paper feathers, you can use them any way you like. For hanging I suggest using fine transparent thread to give your feathers an ethereal floating illusion 🙂
Tadaaa! A new easy craft project to add to your portfolio 🙂 I hope you find this D.I.Y guide easy to follow and beneficial to you. I’ll sign off with this short list –
Perks of Making Your Own Paper Feathers
1) You can dictate how big, wide, small, slim you want the feathers to be – according to what you want to use them for, such as decorating/hanging, gift wrapping, cards, head piece, etc.
2) You can control the colour of the feathers that you want to make as there is a wide variety of coloured paper to suit your needs. Specific coloured real feathers can be a bit hard to find.
3) Paper feathers are a bit more durable and long-lasting compared to real feathers.
4) Paper feathers are definitely animal friendly 🙂